Bungee!

The adventure continues. I've been doing some pretty bold, daring, and exciting things lately so why not jump off a perfectly good bridge and plunge 160 feet towards the white water rapids belolw only to be snatched back up just before hitting the water by a gigantic bungee cord? Well, for me, it was a true test of will power. Let me tell you - I freaked out. I have no irrational fear of heights, or anything else for that matter, and I was really looking forward to doing this. I was pumped, I was hyped, I was excited, but they got me to the ledge and I was panic-stricken! I took one look down and freaked out! They counted me down from 5 and there was nothing I could do - there was no way I could will my legs to jump. I honestly thought that I wouldn't be able to do it - ever! And the ten drunk guys behind me, along with Justin, Julia, Jennie, and the two or three instructors counting me down didn't seem to matter. (I have very little recollection of everyone yelling my 5 different countdowns. I only remember Paul - the guy who strapped me into my harness - counting me down and Justin telling me he loved me just before I finally jumped. Everything else and everyone else is a bit of a blur.) I had to disregard the wonderful advice Paul gave me to swan dive forward with my arms outstretched and my eyes open. After my fourth failed attempt I decided that the only way it would happen was for me to close my eyes and just fall. (Holding onto my harness was Paul's idea - gave me a better sense of control.) Interesting to note that I found it impossible to scream on the descent as I wasn't even breathing. But I could scream and yell as I bounced up only to lose my breath again as I was falling. And the cycle continued. Next time I jump (yes, there WILL be a next time) I'll go backwards - maybe that will be a bit easier. I am now an official Whistler Bungee member and all my future jumps are 50% off. Can't wait to go back and do it again! What an amazing experience!

2 comments:

Lyndee W. said...

Holy Cow! You would never catch me doing that! You're so much braver than me!

Melissa said...

You're crazy. I'd never dare to do that. I don't even like amusment park rides and you have seats underneath you in those.